Adequate connectivity through telecommunications is vital to the economic development of the region. I aim to support people’s ability to interconnect within and outside the New England Region, fostering a widespread sense of community and belonging.
I support the New England region becoming a more connected community overall, through improving funding and structural development.
- Address the structural funding shortfall for rural roads, bridges and local infrastructure through a national funding arrangement similar to what is proposed by the Australian Local Government Association.
Negotiate funding and support for major new projects and developments, particularly:
- Tamworth Airport, inter-modal and by-pass
- Armidale Regional Airport Precinct, and
- Glen Innes Flight School.
Ensure needs-based funding for local, regional and community transport, including:
- Quirindi rail services to Tamworth and Newcastle.
- Review the adequacy of mobile phone coverage, and update the public black spot database, and secure funding to address gaps through the black spot program.
- Ensure the effective completion of implementation of the National Broadband Network.
- Review the adequacy of satellite-based telecommunications where required and address shortfalls in service provision to ensure effective levels of coverage.